CONNECTING TWO COMPUTERS

bpearl 17:24 13 Oct 2009

I have a desktop and a laptop in different parts of the house that both access the internet wirelessly via the same BT Homehub.

Is there any way that I can connect the two computers together wirelessly so they can speak to each other?

mgmcc 18:17 13 Oct 2009

They are already "connected together wirelessly" (networked) via the Homehub.

Make sure both computers are in the same "Workgroup". Then set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option (XP) or Sharing (Vista). Set at least one folder as "shared" in each computer to help to get them communicating. When you go into My Network Places ("Network" in Vista), you should be able to access the shared folders in the remote computer.

Make sure that any third-party firewall software, such as Zone Alarm, is configured to allow access to the networked computers.

bpearl 19:36 13 Oct 2009

Thanks for that, how do I know if they are in the same workgroup?

They both have vista

BP

bpearl 19:36 13 Oct 2009

Thanks for that, how do I know if they are in the same workgroup?

They both have vista

BP

mgmcc 19:57 13 Oct 2009

The default workgroup name in Vista is "WORKGROUP" as it is in XP Pro, only XP Home uses a different name of "MSHOME".

However, you can double check by right clicking "Computer" and selecting Properties. It is shown in the Computer Name settings section.

bpearl 19:07 14 Oct 2009

I've named the computers, they are in the same workgroup but when i right click on a file eg a music or movie i don't get anything that says sharing or sharing and security

Ford Prefect 01 19:38 14 Oct 2009

You set up a folder to share not the individual files within it.

dawood 10:15 16 Oct 2009

Try to do simple file sharing click here or password protected file sharing click here , and then test again.

mikesuther 16:59 19 Oct 2009

goto my computer right click on the hard C drive, select sharing facility, do this on both computers. Now if you click the start button and goto the my network places you will see the c drive on the othe machine, be sure that the other computer is on at the same time. if you click on the c drive on the other computer you can save or copy files over and delete as if using on the actual machine, so be careful

Strawballs 17:01 19 Oct 2009

Not a wise move shareing the entire C drive on both PC's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?