Connecting Speakers.

geekygirl 17:28 10 Feb 2004

I have a fairly old Packard Bell PC which I gave to my Dad. It has WindowsME installed, and when I took it round to his house, I had great difficulty getting the speakers to work. They are integrated into the monitor, but the cable which comes from the monitor into the cpu, has 2 small jack plugs on it. 1 is white and 1 is green. One of my problems is that there are 3 jack sockets on the back of the pc and I am unsure which is which since they are not even labelled. I don't think that I have the correct settings set via control panel. Can someone let me know how to do this? Step by step would be useful! Thanks, and much appreciated.

hugh-265156 17:34 10 Feb 2004

the green rca plug goes to the green soundcard or onboard sound connector on the back of the computer.

the white one should connect to the other speaker and the power connector may connect to the psu 12v jack on the PB power supply.

this may help a bit click here

Diemmess 17:35 10 Feb 2004

Use the green socket at the computer, it probably doesn't matter which end of the jack plug lead goes into which.

Try a music CD and see what happens. In Programs> Accessories> Entertainment you should see the list of player, recorder and volume control.

Have fun

hugh-265156 17:36 10 Feb 2004

ps.typo

3mm jack plug not rca sorry

geekygirl 17:51 10 Feb 2004

How will I know which is the soundcard? All the sockets are black!!!

dfghjkl 17:57 10 Feb 2004

you could put a cd in ,start it up ,check volume then plug the green plug into any of the soundcard sockets and then you should get sound from the correct one,dont worry about electric shocks as these are not power cables.

Diemmess 18:02 10 Feb 2004

Older computers should show "Line Out" stamped close to the particular socket. You won't damage anything because the others are probably "Line In" and "Microphone".

Both could produce a loud hum noise if the speakers were already connected, but that's not the problem.

hugh-265156 19:25 10 Feb 2004

as above i doubt you will do any damage to the speakers by connecting to the wrong socket.

click here? and click "find my serial no.for me" for some info on your model.

do you know the model no.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone