Connecting printer in network

Lombard 17:44 09 Oct 2007

Two computers both XP Pro connected via BT 1200 router. First one by USB, second by ethernet connection. Both can use internet and "see" each other from network. Printer connected by USB2 to first computer. Printer software on both with updated drivers. Second computer cannot find printer and Wizard keeps asking for address or location.
Appreciate help on this one

Eric10 17:58 09 Oct 2007

Have you shared the printer? click here

Lombard 11:33 10 Oct 2007

Yes printer sharing is active. Printer is a Canon Pixma ip 8500.I have also uninstalled Norton in case it was blocking. Windows Firewall is also disabled.

mad1234 12:49 10 Oct 2007

i have mine the same way - in the printer properties - on the share tab check that the share name is correct & share this printer is checked.
on mine if i goto the ports tab i have a port called USB001 virtual port for USB & this is what my printer uses.

hope this helps

topdude 14:50 10 Oct 2007

Check out this link, worked for me.

click here

Lombard 19:41 10 Oct 2007

Thanks mad and topdude. Making progress! Both computers now show printer ready. When I try to print (from the second machine) a test page(or anything else) a dialog box appears identifying the printer and the port correctly and saying it is "Collecting printer status" and it stops there.
Nothing else follows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?