Connecting printer causes connection to drop

nkosi 23:21 29 Apr 2010

I've got three wireless laptops all running Windows 7 on a home network with a BT Home Hub (Mk 1). My printer is a Canon Pixma MP 140 with a USB connection. As we don't print much we just carry the laptop to the printer and plug in the USB when necessary and this has worked fine for several months.

Recently, whenever the printer is switched on and plugged into any of the laptops, the internet connection on the router drops out. The wireless connection to the Home Hub is OK, it's just the connection from the Hub to the Internet.

I've downloaded the latest Canon drivers but the problem still remains. The Home Hub has the latest firmware. When the router is rebooted with the laptop still attached to the printer, the internet connection remains OK. It's the action of plugging the printer into the USB port that triggers the problem.

Any ideas?

mgmcc 08:18 30 Apr 2010

>>> whenever the printer is switched on and plugged
>>> into any of the laptops, the internet
>>> connection on the router drops out

Does it make any difference whether you "plug in" first or "switch on" first? Pure speculation, but I would suspect an electrical 'spike' of some sort is killing the ADSL signal, so that the router needs to be rebooted to regain it.

Is the printer located close to the router? If so, moving it some distance away might resolve the issue. Also, try using a different USB cable as worn contacts might be contributing to the problem.

nkosi 12:12 30 Apr 2010

mgmcc

Thank you very much for your response. You may have hit the nail on the head. After a bit of experimenting, I've found that the act of switching on the mains supply to the printer (before switching the printer itself on - or connecting the lead to the laptop) is what triggers the ADSL signal to cut. So I guess it must be an electrical spike.

The printer (and mains plug) is a long way from the router and it's not the USB lead. But now, thanks to your advice, I know where to start looking.

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?