Connecting the power supply to an ATI 4850 graphic

SANAP 22:34 08 Dec 2008

I just fitted a new ATI 4850 512MB graphics card but as usual there is a tricky bit. It has to be pwoered so fan will keep it cool and the instructions says it must be connected to the PSU. For the moment I plugged the pwoer lead into a spare connector by the hard drives. I am a bit concerned that I should plug it direct to the PSU but I need clarity. The graphics card pwoer connector can be 4 pin, 6 pin, 0r 8 pin and it then says the psu connector can be 4, 6, 8 as well. However the coonector on the graphics card will not reach a connector on the PSU that is just a stubby thing ending in a plastic block. SO am I ok using the connector near the HD? Or if I have to plug it into the PSU direct where do I get an adaptor as none was provided. I know card uses about 400 watts so HD may be too little.

Help

sanap

I am Spartacus 23:32 08 Dec 2008

It's a 6 pin connector for the 4850 and it's powered to make the card work. If you're using the correct PCI-E power connector fitted to a molex then it should be OK. The fan is powered (I think) by the PCI-E slot.

The card won't use 400W, that's what's probably recommended as the minimum for a PSU. I know my system with an HD4870, 4 hard disks and an overclocked Quad Core uses around 380W on full load.

SANAP 20:33 09 Dec 2008

Thanks for reply. I was bit concerned as the diagram for the installation seems to suggest a direct link and the PSU has a spare connector jutting out of it, on a very short peice of cable.

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie