connecting pc and laptop to wired internet

ging75 23:53 28 Jan 2008

Hi all i am a new member just joined tonight, i need a bit of advice i have a laptop in my lounge connected to a broadband cable modem (virgin media)my daughter has a desktop pc in her bedroom and wants to connect to the internet, i have been doing some reading and from what i can make out i need a wireless router, please someone explain what i need to do.
Thankyou
Debbie

ambra4 02:26 29 Jan 2008

You need to get a Cable/DSL wireless router that you connect to the Ethernet port on the

cable modem and a USB wireless adapter for your daughter desktop to access the

wireless router

click here&

Sorted by price low to high will show all the wireless routers for a cable system

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router

click here

D-Link Wireless 54Mbps USB Adapter

click here

Buffalo Wireless-G 125Mbps High Speed Broadband Router

click here

Buffalo AirStation High Speed Wireless 125Mbps USB2.0 Adapter

click here

Cable Modem To Router Set-Up

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for

15 minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connections

(recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet Port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable from the PC's network card and Port 1 of the

Router's LAN Ports

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to the router

Take a read of the router manual first before trying to set up router

Just check the LAN card and the network connection on the laptop is set up correct

click here

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you

will find in the manual, into the browser address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking

ambra4 02:28 29 Jan 2008

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

You have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID

address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network,

452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which

most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low

signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Save information as a text file using note pad on your desk top and copy to a flash drive

as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless

device when setting then up to access your wireless system

Do not set-up the security system on the router as yet

Save the setting and log out of router

Install USB wireless adapter on desk top as per instruction that come with the wireless adapter

A wireless icon will appear in the task bar after the installation is completed

Double click on it and a display box will request the SSID name an the channel # copy

and paste the SSID name from the text doc that you save on the flash drive

Once you have enter the same information as on the router click the connect button you

should now be connected to the router vie the wireless device and able to browse the Internet

If you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless

router or allow access to the Internet

Check out these sites before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Once you have Internet access and all is working fine email, access web sites etc you

now have to set up the security code to make the wireless system secure

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

ambra4 03:30 29 Jan 2008

Just some Important Note that will help

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You can also check that the wireless adapter is Enable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the wireless card will connect to the wireless system

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system

connect speed at 1Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of

walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless network on the same PC connect at the

same time. As this can causes conflict within the router

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB wireless adapter is

54Mbps on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Hope all this information is not too much at one time, just take it slow and do one thing at

a time, connect router and you can access the internet, last setting up the wireless system

and it will all work out fine

Rush the install and you can spend the next two weeks pulling out your hair and going

old very fast. lol

ging75 23:01 29 Jan 2008

Thankyou
Ambra4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?