connecting a pc to the internet

L plate marky 16:26 16 Aug 2005

My mum just bought a pc and wants to connect to the internet (bb). The only problem is the room for the pc and the phone socket are at different ends of the house.

Any suggestions as to what would be the best/simplest way of getting hooked up? (wireless,new phone socket,or long cable)

Thanks in advance.

Gongoozler 16:48 16 Aug 2005

The cheapest and technically easiest method would be to run an extension telephone cable. I'm not certain, but I think even using a wireless router would need a pc to be near a telephone point. The new edition of PCA covers installing a wireless router.

In my installation I've gone for the long extension telephone cable, but in a bungalow that was quite easy.

Magik ®© 16:51 16 Aug 2005

for my money a coil of telephone wire and a new socket, and the tool for pushing in the wires, 99p from maplin's.....all sorted. forever....

Jackcoms 16:53 16 Aug 2005

I agree with Gongoozler.

My extension cable (from the nearest BT socket to the room with the PC) is over 25 feet long and I get excellent speeds on a 2mb BB connection.

L plate marky 17:07 16 Aug 2005

Thanks folks,

I must admit I have heard a few people warning off the idea of long extension leads, but we'll not know till I try.

I've no idea how to install a new phone socket, but thanks anyway!

Stuartli 17:26 16 Aug 2005

My son's computer system is right at the top of his house - he uses a quality 20m telephone extension cable for his broadband connection from the Master Socket and speeds are right on the mark.

Ironically my own BB ISP, Tiscali, advises against using telephone extension cables because of the possibility of dropped connections..:-)

Yet that's how the calls arrive in the first place - telephone wiring.....

Hamish 17:55 16 Aug 2005

Look at this site or type telephone extensions into a search engine such as Ask Jeeves. click here

LAP 18:59 16 Aug 2005

The wireless router needs to be connected to the telephone socket and the electric. The computer can be in another room.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?