Connecting an old pda to a WPA2 wireless network

andy625 10:42 24 Nov 2010

I have an ipaq 1940 pda with a wireless card that I'd like to connect to my WPA2 wireless network. I've previously used the pda wirelessly when our network was WEP, but I'd like to stay with the WPA for the additional security.

Is there some kind of device that I could attach to my router that would enable the pda to connect to the internet? Some time ago I tried to do this with a bluetooth access point but with no success. Is there some kind of wifi device that would do the same thing?

mgmcc 11:29 24 Nov 2010

The only thing you could connect to the router to allow the PDA to connect wirelessly with WEP encryption (while other devices connect with WPA2) would be a separate Wireless Access Point. It does though rather defeat the purpose of having the router's own Wireless Access Point secured with WPA2.

andy625 12:24 24 Nov 2010

Yes, I take your point, although the router is switched on all the time, and the access point wouldn't have to be on for most of the time. I suppose it would also work out to be costly way of doing it for what I would actually achieve.

mimosa418 11:49 25 Nov 2010

If you are on win 7 you could use conectify to create a private WI-Fi link with your PC
www.­connectify.­me

andy625 11:53 25 Nov 2010

We have one pc on Windows 7 so will have a look, but I was hoping for a solution whereby I could use the pda to stream music without having a pc turned on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone