connecting old laptop to plasma

krsna 11:30 28 Nov 2009

Hi I have an old acer travelmate200 laptop and I would like to be able to surf the internet and watch on my plasma tv, but the acer has an operating system of Windows ME 64M ram & Intel Celeron & BT voyager 1065 wi-fi card. I would not use it for anything else (emails office etc)I was thinking it would be best to install a new operating system such as Linux? because of the spec of the laptop being very low I think it would not handle XP etc. Any suggestions

User-1229748 11:43 28 Nov 2009

no you can't put xp on it,maybe one of the linux peeps can recommend a light linux distro that will suit your needs

User-1229748 11:45 28 Nov 2009

in fact this may suitclick here

krsna 11:58 28 Nov 2009

Thanks for the link smackheadz but I am wondering if it would solve my problem because I have just tried going on youtube and watching the laptop screen it is very jerky video, I am wondering if the laptop is too slow for video sites. Also the youtube site had a message that I was using IE6 which they will be phasing out, but I cannot upgrade to IE8 because it is not compatable to ME. I am just wondering if I might be wasting my time because even if I upgrade to a non windows OS the laptop might be able to handle video sites, any suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 28 Nov 2009

Windows ME 64M ram & Intel Celeron & BT voyager 1065 wi-fi card.

Too little RAM to watch web videos.

krsna 19:34 28 Nov 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat I was coming to that conclusion, I think I will have to find an alternative way to connect the tv to internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?