Connecting to NTL BB via router

Pusherman 16:30 03 Mar 2005

At the moment I have my NTL cable set top box connected to the USB port on my WinXP Pro box and I'm connected to the internet fine. I want to connect another pc (Linux) to the internet also so I got a router and tried that.

I connect the cable from my NTL box to the router and then connect the two PC's to the router. On the router I have several lights; LAN 1 to 4 and WAN Link/ACT. When I connect the PC's to the router LAN 1 and 2 light up, this, according to the manual, indicates that the two ports are connected to a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet station. This I assume means that the router can 'see' the two pc's. However, the WAN Link/ACT doesn't light up at all. The manual says that when the router is connected to a xDSL/Cable modem then the light should light up green and flash when data is being transmitted.

How do I get my router to 'see' the NTL set top box?

Has anyone got their PC connected to NTL BB via a router and cable set top box?

Thanks for any help
Pusherman

Reevey11 17:25 03 Mar 2005

Make sure that the cable box is actually unplugged from the mains-not just switched off. Then connect the router and pc and power up the router. Now power up the cable box. You should get a flashing green light on the cable box, after a short while it should change to a steady green light. Only now power up the pc.

This method worked for my router (Buffalo airstation) and touch wood no trouble since. I do sometimes have to reboot the cable box as it sometimes gets confused.

You might also need a crossover ethernet cable-it depends on your router

Hope this helps
Reevey11

Pusherman 19:40 03 Mar 2005

I don't know how much you get paid but it isn't enough!

I did need the cross over cable and once I reboot in the sequence you suggested everything just worked.

Thanks,

Pusherman.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie