Connecting new laptop to wireless printer

ponytail 18:40 14 Apr 2014

My wife has just got a new laptop and I am having problems trying to connect it to our printer wirelessly.The laptop is a Sony PCG-41218M and her OS is windows 7.I have clicked on start followed by devices and printers then add a printer then add network wireless or Bluetooth printer it then says searching for available printers and lists these two DCP-J315W Brother Address 192.168.1.4 and DCP-315W( 00225874CDB5 HTTP//192.168.1.4:80/web services device but when I click on these it says windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver contact your administrator for help.Can someone advise please as I seem to be going round in circles

Thanks

onthelimit1 18:42 14 Apr 2014

Do you have a disk for the printer?

Woolwell 19:04 14 Apr 2014

I would go to the printer manufacturer's website, locate the support section, find the printer and download the latest drivers for W7 (making sure its 32 bit or 64 bit, probably 64 bit) and then install in accordance with the instructions/manual. The manual should also be available to download or read online.

ponytail 19:20 14 Apr 2014

I have the disc here that came with the printer

ponytail 19:50 14 Apr 2014

Well have managed to install the printer but the new laptop does not have a built in DVD writer so had to connect it to my external writer to install it.Have found another problem which someone out there might be able to help with.In my documents my wife has a few copies of some letters and some files but they will not open on this laptop we get this message on trying to open them Windows cannot open this file

What do you want to do Use the web service to find the correct program select a program from a list of installed programs Just notice that when I go into all programs there are no office programs.I am sure these files and letters were done using office 2003 which I still have the software for.Do you think if I install office 2003 on the laptop these files will open.

ponytail 20:10 14 Apr 2014

Have just installed office 2003 on the laptop and activated it.I managed to open the files and letters and also managed to print some so seems everthing is now fine.Thanks again for the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017