Connecting new laptop to existing wireless network

BellPoll 11:41 12 Oct 2008

Hi
Had to buy a new laptop yesterday, an HP tx2530ea running Vista and with a Broadcom 4322AG wi-fi adaptor. I already have a wireless network at home, using a combined modem router, Belkin F5D8633-4. The wireless network is still working fine for my old laptop, but I can't connect with the new one!

Initially the new laptop couldn't see my network. After logging onto the router and changing the SSID channel to 1, it can now see the network but doesn't connect. I temporarily disconnected the wireless security but that didn't get it to work.

I have a Belkin USB wireless adaptor elsewhere which I tried with the new laptop, and which did enable me to connect. (Won't work as a long term solution sticking about 3 inches out of the side of the laptop, bent it a bit within a few minutes of using!).

I've run all the fault diagnostics and help screens I can find. I've tinkered with the router settings for hours. Only thing that looks like it could be an issue is that the HP help system says my router is not supported.

I don't think it is the network, as I can connect with old laptop and new laptop using usb adaptor.
I don't think it's the laptop as I can connect using USB adaptor.
Therefore I was thinking the problem is the built in wifi adaptor in the new laptop and its compatibility with the router.

Any ideas?
I'd really appreciate your help, it's so annoying.

setecio 12:47 13 Oct 2008

Reset the router and start from scratch, if you are confident of all the settings.

Start by using an ethernet cable to the laptop, does that work ?

Then unplug the cable and try wireless without any security, does that work ?

Then enable WPA security, does that work ?

Use the ethernet cable each time to set things up.

BellPoll 14:52 13 Oct 2008

Hi there - thanks for your response

-have reset router - made no difference
-I connected with an ethernet cable - worked ok
removed security from router - couldn't connect wirelessly
-haven't enabled WPA (tried before and couldn't get it to work with my Archos 605 wifi), but if no security and WEP wouldn't work, not sure if WPA would.

Also:
- I took my laptop to a friend's in desperation - was able to log in to their older Belkin router also using WEP security - worked perfectly.
- tried my work laptop on my home network wirelessly and worked fine.

So... the laptop will work wired to the network and other similarly configured wifi networks.
The wireless network is fine with 3 other pcs.

But still won't connect wirelessly to my own network! Only thing that I am wondering about is that it is Vista whereas my old laptop and work laptop are all XP.

It's driving me crazy - thinking I might have to buy another modem/router...

setecio 16:43 13 Oct 2008

Wireless n is fussy about the hardware. Set the router to wireless g only and the laptop to wireless g also.

Also check that you have the latest firmware for the router.

click here

Tim1964 00:00 17 Oct 2008

Is the wireless on the laptop turned on?

I set up a friends lappy yesterday and the wireless 'bit' was off by default and it had to be turned on. This may be why a USB dongle can see the router whereas the internal wireless cannot.

I then selected 'Broadcast SSID' via the desktop so that her network popped up and then input the network key on the laptop. then just a case of turning off the broadcast SSID.

urbanite001 23:19 05 Dec 2008

I too have a HP tx2520ea with the Broadcom 4322AG Wi-Fi adapter installed and also the Belkin Pre-N Wireless router.

I'm having the exact same problem. I was previously a Director of IT in the public sector, heading up a Tech Support department with 15 staff and have been working in IT for 20 years, but this has me stumped.

The Broadcom 4322AG connects happily to my Netgear routers at work and my other notebooks, desktops, handhelds, phones and ipods, all connect happily to my Belkin router at home. So I'm amazed that for some reason the 4433AG refuses to play nicely with the Belkin.

Did anyone find a resolution for this? I'm on the verge insanity trying to figure this one out.

urbanite001 23:21 05 Dec 2008

I too have a HP tx2520ea with the Broadcom 4322AG Wi-Fi adapter installed and also the Belkin Pre-N Wireless router.

I'm having the exact same problem. I was previously a Director of IT in the public sector, heading up a Tech Support department with 15 staff and have been working in IT for 20 years, but this has me stumped.

The Broadcom 4322AG connects happily to my Netgear routers at work and my other notebooks, desktops, handhelds, phones and ipods, all connect happily to my Belkin router at home. So I'm amazed that for some reason the 4433AG refuses to play nicely with the Belkin.

Did anyone find a resolution for this? I'm on the verge insanity trying to figure this one out.

setecio 16:38 06 Dec 2008

No feedback from my last suggestion >>

Wireless n is fussy about the hardware. Set the router to wireless g only and the laptop to wireless g also.

Also check that you have the latest firmware for the router. click here

nthewlis 16:15 20 Dec 2009

Bought a new Vista laptop and tried to connect it to my existing wifi network which consists of a couple of XP machines and a PS3. The router is a Belkin Mimo G+ and have been using the set up for a year or two at least.

The new laptop
1. Can see the network
2. It cannot connect even with the WEP switched off and the McAfee firewall switched off (tried this two ways one thru the front end and nother shutting down all non ms services thru msconfig)
3. I have ensure there are no entries in the network and sharing
4. I have set set it to use 802.11g only
5. I have cycled thru the channels on the router
6. Ensured MAC address is in the router set up
7. The new vista laptop can connect via a ethernet cable sucesfully AND can connect to another unsecured network on our street
8. I have read that Vista and XP machines do not play well together on the same network but haven't really seen any solution

Bit desperate after spending 1.5 hours on the phone with Belkin. Any suggestions very gratefully received

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?