Connecting netbook to TV

jaymus 11:17 16 Jun 2010

Hi all. As this forum is so helpful I thought I would ask with advice. I would like to connect my Asus eee netbook to a HD ready TV (Panasonic 42 inch). Do I just need to buy a VGA to HDMI cable? Or is it more complicated than that?

Should I do the safe option and buy a VGA scan converter - are any of these converters HDMI complaint? They seem expensive.

gengiscant 11:31 16 Jun 2010

I assume the vga output on the EEE is the same as 1 x D-Sub (RGB PC) on tv, if thats the case get a monitor cable with 2 male plugs to connect the EEE to your tv.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 16 Jun 2010

Asus provides a VGA adapter in the box.
Better yet, it's actually housed in the chassis, slotting into a magnetically secured compartment underneath the machine.

You need to check the PC input on your TV, if VGA the you need a VGA male to male for picture and an audio 3.5 jack to 3.5 jack for sound.
Then you will need to adjust the screen resolution setting on the laptop to suit the TV.

Let us know what kind of inputs you have on the TV.

jaymus 08:46 17 Jun 2010

Thanks both. Really useful. A VGA male to male looks like it will solve the Panasonic connection (which has VGA input in the back and headphone front socket). Thanks! I was just wondering how I would connect the Asus to an older telly with the three coloured inputs? Sorry to be so dim. Is a converter the best bet?

realist 09:40 17 Jun 2010

Might be worth looking on the eeepc forums.
Any help?
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 17 Jun 2010

how I would connect the Asus to an older telly with the three coloured inputs?

use one of these
click here

jaymus 13:20 17 Jun 2010

Thank you, Fruit Bat. And everyone else. It looks like two simple cables will do the trick. They are very cheap so I don't mind taking a risk.

I am a little worried about the VGA implementation on the Asus side of things. The little VGA connector dongle thingy has to go through a USB to get to the Asus. That may mess things up. But I'll give it a try. Unless anyone says "no! don't do it!" on the forum.

Thank you all so very very much. I knew there was a reason why I kept renewing my PC Advisor subs!

woodchip 14:58 17 Jun 2010

VGA is no good for reading PC text

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017