Connecting to the net away from home?

dave h 19:40 22 Oct 2004

Recently obtained a laptop, and would like to connect to the internet when visiting friends who are not on the intetrnet, that is, I'd like to connect my laptop via their phone and dialup to an ISP.

Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?

Thanx in advance.

Dave H

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:44 22 Oct 2004

Sign up with Virgin, Tiscali etc. for a dial up pay-as-you-go account. You only pay the cost of a local call from any phone socket.click here .....works fine for me.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:45 22 Oct 2004

....when I wrote 'you pay the cost of a local call', I meant the line owner but the evening charge is usually only 1p/min.

G

dave h 19:48 22 Oct 2004

Thanks, GANDALF <|:-)>, That's what I thought, but my son tells me there is also a way where the ISP bills you direct for all use away from home. Ever heard of that sort of deal anyone?

Cheers

Dave H

Graham ® 20:28 22 Oct 2004

You would have to sign up for a 0800 or 0808 service. You would pay a monthly fee and the calls would be free to your friends.

Make sure you have all necessary virus and spyware software installed, you don't want to inflict premium call charges on your friends!

fred 20:54 22 Oct 2004

Some isp's use caller ID to check that the line of the caler is as registered first. Yourt best bet may well be the pay as you go option and even then they may check the line id.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:53 23 Oct 2004

Tiscali PAYG can be used from any socket in the UK and there is no caller ID needed. I tend to use PAYG when away from home (evening 30mins = 30p) and only a tight so-and-so would ask for any money. A drink usually suffices.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017