Connecting my laptop to wireless hotspots/internet

Major Disaster 17:03 06 Feb 2006

hello,

I have a dell inspiron 2650 laptop (quite old) and want to use it to connect to the internet.

I live in a flat with bars / shops below and have noticed some of these are advertising wireless hotspots.

I am wondering whether i can use these to connect to the net. So a few questions....

Do i need a PCMIA card? I have a hole in the side of the laptop filled with a dell thingy that isnt doing anything, this it?

Do i want b or g?

Do i want MIMO?

Will i be able to pick up the signal in the first place?

What speeds are we talking about?

Can you reccomend any good cards?

Soo many questions!
Thanks for help with any of them!

ade.h 17:52 06 Feb 2006

It's PCMCIA actually. If your notebook is not wifi-enabled, you need a PCMCIA - or PC - card.

802.11g, not b.

MIMO? No; that requires a complete MIMO-compatible network and is intended for faster home networks. It's one of the precursors to the 802.11n standard.

ade.h 17:57 06 Feb 2006

Posted prematurely, without getting to your other questions.

What card? Depends what network. A wifi hotspot will simply require an 11g wifi card. I use a Vodafone 3G/GPRS card when I need mobile net access, which does not require a wifi hotspot.

If you live above or very near to a commercial network - which is quite likely to be boosted - you'll get a signal quite easily. I could use four nearby home networks right now, as they are in range. I won't of course!!

Dipso 21:24 06 Feb 2006

I have found most public wifi hotspots to be 802.11b standard but I would advise a b/g card in case you decide to get your own set up.

Use this click here to find out which providers supply the service to the shops you live above.

It's not cheap though click here for an idea of BT Openzone charges and general info.

PC World had the Netgear WG511 on offer last week but it's now gone up to £23. Why not try Ebay. I got a second hand PCI card for a few quid, works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?