Connecting my 2 pcs?

gudda96 19:34 30 Jan 2007

I have a desktop and a laptop and want them to run together so I can continue doing something on one that I started on the other.

My DT is connected to my BT Hub by etheret cable and my laptop downstairs is wireless intergrated.

How do I join them for at present I have to copy work to a memory stick then paste it to 2nd pc.

FreeCell 19:39 30 Jan 2007

Sounds like that you need to set up the two PCs into a home network and then you can share folders between the two.

If using XP

click here

sean-278262 19:39 30 Jan 2007

You could just run an ethernet cross over cable between them and set up a network share folder. Alternatively buy a £10 PCI wireless card for the PC and then allowing you to connect to the laptop where ever it may be. Just then setting up shared folders. So long as work is saved to shared files it can be gotten with ease. However the PC requires to be on as well as the laptop.

Alternatives include adding a cheap box and running it in say the attic as a server with it on permanently and a decent sized hard drive to store files on, then work just get saved to it and so long as there is power it can be accessed. This can be done wirelessly or wired. All depends on your budget.

click here

gudda96 19:57 30 Jan 2007

Hi Guys

I cant quite follow all that sorry, can I do any printscreens of what I have to show you as I feel that maybe I already have a network??

sean-278262 20:05 30 Jan 2007

You most likely do. However a schematic of what you have would likely help. Use paint and then upload it to say click here

FreeCell 20:06 30 Jan 2007

If you have a network already set up you should be able to "see" the other PC from "My Network Places" (in My Computer).

You need to set any selected folder as a shared folder to be able to read/write from the other PC.

Again in My Computer right-click on your selected folder and select Properties. Chose the Sharing tab and set up the folder with the permissions to0 read/write etc that you want others to have.

gudda96 20:29 30 Jan 2007

Creature of the Nite
What do you want me to copy

Free Call
Its not in My Computer,I have Network Connections which contains>>>>>
network setup wizard
new connection wizard
1394 connection
local area connection
wireless network connection

Hope this helps

FreeCell 20:32 30 Jan 2007

If you look at Network Connections is My Network Places listed in "Other Places" in the panel in left? Should be there somewhere if you have a network set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?