Connecting modem/router to ethernet for wifi

cyberphobic 01:50 16 Oct 2009

My daughter lives in a student flat and her internet connection is ethernet via an RJ45 wall socket (she has a username and password) Can I connect a D-Link DSL G624T modem/router to this socket in order to give her wi-fi?

Strawballs 04:04 16 Oct 2009

Not a modem router but a Cable/DSL router should work and don't forget to setup encryption on the wireless.

click here Any one of these should work

ambra4 04:08 16 Oct 2009

“Connecting modem/router to ethernet for wifi”

No

You cannot use the D-Link DSL G624T Modem/Router what you can use is a

“Wireless Access Point Unit”

D-Link Wireless G Open Source Access Point

click here

This unit has 2 Lan Ports and need be installed as follows

The RJ45 cable from the wall socket is connected to Lan Port 1

Using a second RJ45 cable from Lan Port 2 you now have to configure the D-Link Wireless

Access Point Unit to allow wireless Internet access using the CD-ROM Click n Connect Set-up

Assistant

Once you have configure the D-link wireless access point as a “Access Point” check that you can

access the Internet via the Lan Port 2 once all is working correct disconnect the RJ45 cable from

the Lan Port 2 and set up the laptop wireless card to allow Internet access via the wireless system

Lan Port 2 can also be used to connect a hardwire desktop computer if required

Download the user manual on the D-Link DAP-1160/B “Wireless Access Point Unit” at

bottom of page and also the Quick Installation Guides and take a read on how to configure the

Wireless Access Point Unit as a “Access Point”

click here

setecio 16:33 16 Oct 2009

Depends if the wall RJ45 gives a single IP or is linked to a DHCP server .... if so yes you can use the G624T by disabling DHCP in it, giving it a static IP on the correct range being handed out and connecting it via a LAN port ....

It is possible that it could be done ... but if you don't know what all this means then forget it and get a cable wifi router as suggested above.

cyberphobic 22:59 20 Oct 2009

Many Thanks for your assistance - I bought the D-link Access Point which you recommended and it was very easy to set up, however I still have a problem! The wireless network which I have installed is visible and I can connect to it using my WEP code, but I then go to the homepage of the Housing company which offers me the option to buy ceratin services (games etc) but won't let me progress onto the internet. Is it possible that there is a firewall or something similar which is preventing the wifi from working? If so is there a workaround or solution to this problem?

ambra4 00:02 21 Oct 2009

“The wireless network which I have installed is visible”

You have to tick the “Enable Hidden Wireless” option on the DAP-1160

If you do not want the SSID (Network Name) to be broadcast

This prevents the SSID (Network Name) from being seen by site survey utilities,

Any wireless device that you want to add to the wireless network will have to be pre-configured

with the SSID (Network Name) in order to connect to it

You will also need to check these setting on the wireless card and network connection on the

laptop

Right click on Wireless Icon in the task bar Click Status-General-Properties

Click Wireless Network Tab – In the “Preferred Network” display box, highlight your network

name and click Properties

Tick “Connect even if this network is not broadcasting”

Click Connection Tab – Tick “Connect when this network is in range”

Click OK

At the top of display the type of Wireless Card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Check the following: -

‘Auto Connection Mode” is Enable

“Power Saving Mode” Set to Cam (Constantly Awake Mode)

Click - Power Management Tab (If Available)

Un Tick “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set-Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

ambra4 00:05 21 Oct 2009

“I then go to the homepage of the Housing Company which offers me the option to buy certain services (games etc) but won't let me progress onto the internet”

If you connect the laptop directly to the RJ45 wall socket can you access the Internet with out

any problem or do you have to enter a user name and password

If you can connected to the internet without a user name or password do the following: -

With the computer, hardwire to the RJ45 socket right click on the “Local Area Network Icon” in

the task bar (2 Displays Type Flashing)

Click Status – Click Detail – And list the Detail on this thread as need to know if the

WAN Settings is a Dynamic IP (DHCP) or Static IP

Once you have gotten the information with the laptop connected to the RJ45 socket

Reconnect the DAP-1160 to the RJ45 Socket and the laptop to the DAP-1160

access the DAP-1160 via the browser and go to the Status Device Info Page and list the LAN,

WAN and the Wireless LAN information

ambra4 00:27 21 Oct 2009

Sorry just read that she has a “Username and Password”

You might have to choose PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) or PPTP (Point-to-

Point Tunnelling Protocol) if the Housing Company is uses a PPPoE or PPTP connection a

username and password need to be entered into the DAP-1160 to allow Internet access see if you

can find out how the Internet is accessed

At the moment you only have local area access to there network via the wireless system

Still need the information requested if you do not want to list the information on an open public

Forum you can email me by clicking the little yellow envelope

cyberphobic 21:43 22 Oct 2009

Just wondered if you'd received my email?

ambra4 23:11 22 Oct 2009

Sorry did not received try again

ambra4 23:14 22 Oct 2009

Sorry did not received try again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?