Connecting Modem Through Ether Connection

babybell 15:28 25 Jul 2006

I have recently had Telewest BB installed but it was left up to me to install the modem and connect it to the pc, which was no problem as such, even though i thought the engineer had to do it. Anyway I connected it via USB but read on here that using the ether(sp?) cable gave a better quality. I plug in the cable to the modem and the pc and removed the USB cable but I get no connection. Would I have to reinstall the software again and when asked to connect the modem plus in the ether cable or is there something i can simply do now?

dazwm 15:38 25 Jul 2006

Look in device manager and see if there is an exclamation mark on your ethernet device. You may need to install or update your ethernet drivers.

silverous 16:01 25 Jul 2006

I suspect you may have to go through the setup routine again and choose Ethernet rather than USB. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"...who said about quality issues? Ethernet would I admit be a preference but if USB was working fine for you I wouldn't change it.

babybell 16:07 25 Jul 2006

I do suffer drop outs sometimes with it, I'm not suggesting it is the USB cable but can't hurt to try it.

dazwm 15:46 31 Aug 2006

Has your question been answered? If so please tick the resolved box.

keef66 16:48 31 Aug 2006

on NTL cable I was initially connected via usb cos I had no network card. When I added one and switched to ethernet connection all I had to do was reboot the modem.

NTL recommend ethernet rather than usb; I do find ethernet better, but I suspect that's because the usb in question was usb 1.2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?