Connecting Linksys Wireless router 2 internet HELP

gyalsns19 14:42 31 Dec 2006

I am having trouble connecting a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 wireless-B Broadband router to the internet. I have a Huawei SmartAX MT882 ADSL modem (wired) provided by the ISP and I want to connect a wireless Linksys router to have wireless networking. So far I have been able to connect to the router via 192.168.1.1 and change the required bit including WEP but it doesnt let me connect to the internet.

I have used Linksys ADSL wireless modem routers in the past but this router seems to be a bit different to those. Can someone help me?

mgmcc 21:56 31 Dec 2006

Unless the ADSL modem you have (presumably an ethernet modem) is capable of connecting to the ISP automatically when powered on, and without you having to run a "dialup" session from the PC, I suspect you will be unable to use the Linksys router with it.

The reason why it is usually necessary to use a *combined* router and ADSL modem is that, in the UK, ADSL uses PPPoA protocol (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) whereas stand-alone "Cable/DSL" routers only support PPPoE protocol (PPP over Ethernet). In countries such as the US which use PPPoE for their DSL, this isn't a problem, but in the UK it is :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?