connecting laptops to pc wirelessly

LAPTOPBABE 22:52 08 Jan 2006

I ahve had my own laptop connected ok to my PC upstairs via a router and it has been working fine and still is. A friend has moved in next door and he can use my router to get on the internet, which i don't mind. But we have also discovered between us that someone else in the street is also using my router which i don't want. I thought i had enabled wep security but I must not have clicked apply on the settings on the router. When I do this although I have set it up to allow both his and my laptop only to access the router, we both lose our connection to the internet, and we don't know what we are doing wrong. Please help anyone. I have a dg834g netgear router recommended by AOL.

mgmcc 23:14 08 Jan 2006

<<< I thought i had enabled wep security but I must not have clicked apply on the settings on the router. When I do this although I have set it up to allow both his and my laptop only to access the router, we both lose our connection to the internet >>>

It sound as though there is some confusion between MAC address filtering, where you specify in the router's settings which network adapters have access, and WEP encryption where it is then necessary to enter the "key" into the Wireless Adapter's settings before they will be able to connect to the router's Wireless Access Point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)