Connecting Laptop to Wireless Network - Help!

jb2008 17:40 03 Mar 2009

Hi there, I've recently got a Virgin wireless router and I'm wanting to connecting using my laptop as well. The laptop is pretty old but is wireless enabled and I have been able to connect to other networks when I've been working away.

I previously had another wireless network set up but it wasn't a strong enough signal; in this case the laptop would recognise the wireless network but would immediately cut off and reboot when it connected???? The laptop would then restart with an error message, and the same thing happened when I tried to connect to the wireless service on the train.

Now it's not recognising the wireless network at all. Bit of a long story I know but anyone got any ideas which may help?

jb2008 17:55 03 Mar 2009

anyone got any idea?

really struggling here

Quiller. 18:29 03 Mar 2009

What standard is the wireless in the laptop?

a-b-g or n

It could be that it is b and the routers are not set to transmit on the level.

Quiller. 18:33 03 Mar 2009

Has the laptop got a lan port and does the virgin router have a lan port.

If they do have, you could pair them up with a cable just to talk to each other and then try the wireless.

jb2008 19:08 03 Mar 2009

it's an 802.11b/g W400 if that's what you mean Dave? I'm not particularly good with this kind of thing, you may have noticed!

jb2008 15:57 04 Mar 2009

bump

Marko797 16:03 04 Mar 2009

could it be the case that u might have to set up a network connection which utilises the virgin router? maybe going thru the windows network set up might resolve this? I'm no expert on this matter, but going back to basics might help here. Both machines (assuming there is a desktop and laptop involved) need to be part of the same network. In Vista it's 'workgroup' but in XP default is MS HOME. Have u done all this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires