Connecting Laptop to wi-fi adsl router.

Sharon29 03:53 13 Mar 2010

I am trying to set up a wireless internet connection for a friend. They have a D-link WiFi ADSL modem/router, the modem is connected through the phone line, desktop PC runs on this router and is connected by ethernet cable. They have a laptop that they would like to connect wireless to the internet using same account as desktop. How do I go about this, laptop has a wireless network adapter card, not sure if PC does but will check, if it doesn't I will get a wireless USB adapter. How do I then go about connecting the laptop.

Thanks

ICF 07:03 13 Mar 2010

please could you tell us
Model number of router?
Operating system?

Technotiger 07:42 13 Mar 2010

Make sure laptop wireless is enabled, this varies depending on make/model of laptop. On the laptop start up the Wireless connections wizard (look in Control panel). In the wizard enter the 'password' type Key from the Router key is usually found on the back of the router, a short series of numbers/letters. You will eventually see the word Connect in the wizard, click on that to make the connection. This will usually only need to be done once, thereafter connection should be automatic.

Please bear in mind that this is only a rough guide, but should point you in the right direction.

More detailed instructions ... click here

Technotiger 07:51 13 Mar 2010

More instructions .... click here

oldbeefer3 09:17 13 Mar 2010

You don't have to connect the PC wirelessly - if convenient, it can stay hard wired.

ICF 08:51 14 Mar 2010

Sharon29
Please don't PM forum members unless requested to do so.Better to share you info on the forum so other can help

PM message:-
Model Number of Router is D-Link DSL-G604T. Operating System Windows XP - Service Pack 2

birdface 09:16 14 Mar 2010

Make sure the wireless connection is switched on on the laptop.
Then search for wireless connection when the proper connection is found it will just be a matter of adding the security details from the wireless connection to the laptop and it should connect.
If your friend never put a security code on the router it should connect straight away.

Sharon29 11:52 14 Mar 2010

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to try connecting it tommorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache