Connecting Laptop to stereo

ninatron 23:02 03 Mar 2006

I am trying to connect my laptop to my stereo.
I have bought some jack leads. My speakers are separate from my stereo, is it still possible?
back of speakers is boarded up.

DieSse 23:43 03 Mar 2006

You can't connect the laptop directly to hi-fi speakers - an amplifier is required (computer speakers do have built-in amplifiers).

You need to connect to the amplifier of your hi-fi - which means a suitable input on the amplfier - not all low cost units have such an input - does yours?

ninatron 23:49 03 Mar 2006

i dont think so- the speakers plug into the same ports where i would plug in the jack leads from the laptop. the only other input is for the ac adapter.
do i need to buy some additional speakers?

DieSse 00:19 04 Mar 2006

*do i need to buy some additional speakers?*

Yup.

ninatron 00:21 04 Mar 2006

Thankyou!

DieSse 00:29 04 Mar 2006

Have a look through these click here

DieSse 00:30 04 Mar 2006

Sorry - you'll have to put speakers into the search box, and it'll show you a good representative range of products and prices - or go to any large computer store.

Derek-Trotter 11:39 04 Mar 2006

I've just done the same thing. I bought a 3.5mm jack to 2 phono cable and connected to the aux ports at the back of the amp. The seperate speakers are in seperate ports? Are you sure you don't have aux ports at the back of your amp?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?