Connecting laptop to pc wireless via usb adapter

jpgalea 11:28 29 Jul 2006

Hi I currently have a 2 desktop pc setup. My adsl modem is connected to desktop 1 which in turn supplies internet connectivity to desktop 2. Now I am buying a laptop and I would like to browse the internet and share files with desktop pc 1, can I just use a Usb wireless adapter on desktop 1 and thus connect to my laptop? thanks

Strawballs 12:14 29 Jul 2006

Your best bet would be to get a adsl modem/router wireless then any of them could browse the net without the need for any of the others to be on.

Strawballs 12:17 29 Jul 2006
  jpgalea 12:29 29 Jul 2006

yes i know i can do that too however the other one i mentioned would be much less expensive so i would like to know if i would be able to work with that too. I dont mind leaving the pc always on, it is left on irrespective of whether anyone needs internet or not. thanks

mgmcc 15:57 29 Jul 2006

What you have to do is to install a Wireless Network Adapter in PC1, the one that connects to the ADSL modem, then:

1) Disable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the ADSL connection (the modem connection).

2) Bridge the two network adapters - the "Local Area Connection" and the "Wireless Network Connection". To do this, highlight both adapters, right click and select "Bridge Connections".

3) Enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the ADSL connection (the modem connection) which will now allocate the IP address 192.168.0.1 to the *NETWORK BRIDGE* - the individual network adapters will no longer have their own IP address.

Then the two computers that connect to the "host" PC's two network adapters should have network and internet access.

mgmcc 16:02 29 Jul 2006

In suggesting the above procedure, which involves bridging the two network adapters, I assumed that your "host" PC is running Windows XP, this is essential.

jpgalea 16:20 29 Jul 2006

Seems to be a good solution, thanks alot for the detailed explanation. in step 2 what you are saying is that i have to bridge the laptop's connection and the other pc(desktop2) together right? And they will continue to feed on the connection provided by the pc connected to the modem (desktop1).

Also are there any particular specs I should be looking at when i go to buy the USB wireless adapter?

Thanks

mgmcc 17:56 29 Jul 2006

<<< in step 2 what you are saying is that i have to bridge the laptop's connection and the other pc(desktop2) together right? >>>

Yes, although strictly speaking it is the network adapters that you are bridging. It just happens to be your PC2 and laptop that you are connecting to the "bridged" adapters.

<<< Also are there any particular specs I should be looking at when i go to buy the USB wireless adapter? >>>

Not really. I've been very happy with a Belkin USB WiFi adapter that I use in conjunction with different computers.

jpgalea 10:17 30 Jul 2006

would this procedure still work if i had to connect another laptop to desktop 1? would i ave to bridge the three connections then?

mgmcc 11:55 30 Jul 2006

To connect additional computers by ethernet cable, you would plug a "network switch" into the existing RJ45 port to provide additional ports.

To connect additional computers "wirelessly" you should be able to connect straight into the existing "Ad Hoc" wireless network.

However, with four computers involved, you really should be using a proper router. Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" is a bit of a "kludge" at the best of times.

jpgalea 15:33 02 Aug 2006

hi again i bought an edimax 802.11g usb adapter and followed the instructions above, however the wireless isnt finding my laptop and vice versa. The other connection between desktop 1 and desktop 2 is still working well with internet shared, also the bridged connection has the ip 192.168.0.1 as you said it would be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?