Connecting laptop to PC

Bigbite 14:09 16 Jan 2006

I have wirless network comprising 2 laptops and one PC, with Netgear Router. Am able to share files/folders across all computers.

To transfer a large file from a laptop to the PC is proving impossible over the wireless connection, it cuts out after about five minutes.

How do I connect with a cable, ie which cable and what changes do I need to make to the settings?

Forum Editor 14:44 16 Jan 2006

(you can buy one from any computer shop)into the laptop's LAN port and the other end into one of the router's LAN ports - there will be four at the back of the Netgear.

Then disable your laptop's wireless adapter.

That's all you'll need to do.

Bigbite 16:16 16 Jan 2006

Sorry to appear stupid, but do I need to have a cable between the router and the PC as well.

I will do what you have suggested but I would hate to have go to the computer shop twice to get another cable.

Someone has suggested the fastest connection is with the firewire port. Is that true.

dms05 16:28 16 Jan 2006

Do you mean all your networking is over WiFi (ie none of your computers are connected to the WiFi Router by cable)?

Bigbite 19:40 16 Jan 2006

Yes thats it exactly

Bigbite 07:12 17 Jan 2006

When you get down to basics I am trying to find out how to connect two computers, one laptop running XP(SP2) and one PC running XP(SP1), over a firewire connection. The ethernet connection/port on the PC does not work.

DrScott 09:34 17 Jan 2006

That's a shame. A crossover cable between your laptop and PC would have enabled a nice rapid transfer of the file you needed. Perhaps buy a new ethernet card for your PC? They're very cheap!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires