connecting a laptop to the internet

mags65 15:05 07 Nov 2005

I havw ordered a laptop for hubby's Xmas and it has centrino mobile technology. I am not quite sure what this means. I.E. what do I have to get to connect it to the internet. I want to have it ready and running when I give him it. Is there some sort of network card I need to connect to it.

ACOLYTE 15:07 07 Nov 2005

If it has modile technolgy it should already have the things needed to connect,what you have to do is set up an account with a hotspot provider.

ACOLYTE 15:13 07 Nov 2005

This may help click here

mags65 15:17 07 Nov 2005

Thanks ACOLYTE but what is that and how do I do it.I already have a desktop with a broadband connection but as yet have not wireless networked it. I am planning to do this however as I am also building a comp for the kids Xmas.
I know how to network the desktops but wondered if I needed to do this in order to get the laptop connected. Or is it a case of loading in my broadband set up CD. Apologies if these are stupid questions.

sharkfin 18:52 07 Nov 2005

There are a few ways to set up a wireless network for internet access.

The option I would choose which would give the most freedom is for you to buy yourself a wireless ADSL router. You connect this to your ADSL line and configure a network within its settings. You'll also need a network cards/plug for your PC (The laptop already has this).

With a bit of configuration you should be able to have wireless interent access from both your PC and laptop. Another benefit is that you'll be able to share files and folders wireless as well.

Diodorus Siculus 18:55 07 Nov 2005

click here;BV_EngineID=ccecaddelggeehjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=123014&category_oid=-9980&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined
PC World - D-LINK DSL-904 WIRELESS NETWORKING - Shop for cheap Wireless Routers & Accessories

IF you are on ADSL broadband, you should be able to connect this to it and it will transmit a wireless signal which can be picked up by the wireless chip built into the laptop.

sharkfin 18:55 07 Nov 2005

Also when you buidl the other computer for your children, you can add another Wireless network card/plug to that as well.

A router like this: click here

Wireless Network card for you PC(s): click here

Diodorus Siculus 18:58 07 Nov 2005

click here (I hope!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017