Connecting laptop to broadband router

nataliemaria 15:58 25 Nov 2007

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook Laptop and im trying to connect to my existing broadband connection, which works fine with my PC. Its not the broadband thats the problem it has to be something to do with the laptop, it just wont let me connect! Is it something to do with the IP address? I recently had to reinstall the operating system when i bought it (second hand)it currently operates on windows xp.
thanks

ambra4 16:13 25 Nov 2007

Check this posting

click here

100andthirty 17:22 25 Nov 2007

If the other thread that Ambra4 suggested doesn't help, you need to provide some info>

1) are you connecting wirelessly or Ethernet?
2) have you reinstalled the drivers for your networking device (wireless or ethernet)
3) is it turned on
4) if you are going onto wireless, it would be worth running the wireless network wizard once you're sure the drivers are installed

mcut 14:45 26 Nov 2007

my partner could not get her laptop to connect wirelessly. it was fixed by installing the latest drivers for the wireless adapter.

nataliemaria 23:41 27 Nov 2007

I am connecting through an ethernet, or trying to! I havent installed any drivers? Im not sure how to or where to get them?

It says cannot detect proxy settings.

Strawballs 00:14 28 Nov 2007

When you reinstalled windows was it from a rescue disc or just a windows disc? because the rescue disc should have all the motherboard drivers inc the network device whereas a windows disc won't and you will have to go to the site of the laptop maker and download the motherboard drivers.

nataliemaria 01:58 28 Nov 2007

well im not sure, the guy sent me the disc, it seemed to reinstall everything else?

Strawballs 22:22 28 Nov 2007

Go to control panel > system > device manager and check for and yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them under network devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?