connecting lap for file sharing

DeptfordGirl 18:46 28 Feb 2011

I have just set up a wireless connection to the internet with a BT homehub 2.0. I have 2 laptops I would like to connect to each other to allow file sharing of music, etc. (one using Windows XP, the other Windows 7). What's the best way to connect them, wirelessly or wired? And how would I go about actually doing this? I'm a bit of a novice. All help appreciated. The BT homehub can with a ethernet cable.

Chapter One 08:21 01 Mar 2011

I'm about to do something similar with my netbook and desktop within my home. I've been directed to a website called TeamViewer click here and believe this would solve my problem. Give this website a look and see if its suitable for you as well. There are free and paid-for versions.

Hope this helps.

chub_tor 09:44 01 Mar 2011

Duplicate post click here

With respect, I don't think TeamViewer is really necessary for what DeptfordGirl wants to achieve. She just wants to set up basic file sharing over a LAN.

"wirelessly or wired?"

A wired connection will generally provide a more stable and faster connection than wireless, so if it's convenient to go wired then I would recommend doing so, but if not then provided the wireless signal strength is reasonably good then this would be adequate too.

This guide, click here, should walk you through setting it up.

Terry Brown 09:30 07 Mar 2011

I think you will find that the XP and Windows 7 network systems are imcompatable.

Use a USB stick instead- It is easier.

Terry

Terry Brown 15:49 07 Mar 2011

Update

There is (apparantly) a way. Follow the instructions on link

I have not tried it, so I do not know if it works or not.

Terry
click here

mgmcc 17:08 07 Mar 2011

There *ISN'T* a problem networking Windows 7 with XP.

I have an XP PC in my network along with 7 Home Premium (64-bit), 7 Home Premium (32-bit) and 7 Starter (Netbook) all of which share Folders & Printers quite happily.

However, a "Homegroup" can only be used with PCs running Windows 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone