Connecting to the internet with a wireless laptop

CCU_06 12:22 06 Feb 2007

Hi as a new person to this forum could anyone advise me on this,i have a Dell 8300 that is connected to the internet by a BT Voyager 220V wired ADSL Voice Router and everthing works fine. My pc is in a spare room upstairs and the main BT socket is in the living room downstairs and i have a cable running to the spare room for the internet access with the dell.Due to bad health i am considering getting a laptop to save going up and down the stairs, my question is if i got a laptop with wireless could i connect to the web from the living room without the need to be upstairs and allso wired to the router, will it just find the internet and connect to it and will i need to install the 220V sotware on the laptop.

Ho-Lin-Sok 12:45 06 Feb 2007

I believe your router is not WiFi enabled so your laptop would not be able to connect. If you set up a wireless router and enabled your desktop, you could probably connect to both via wireless.

silverous 12:51 06 Feb 2007

If the ADSL router is also a wired switch (often they have 4 wired ethernet ports on the back) then you could buy a simple wireless access point and plug that into the back of the 220V. That would then allow wireless.

CCU_06 14:04 06 Feb 2007

Hi and thanks for the replys, thanks silverous i think i might give that a try, any tips on where to buy and what they are called so i know what to look for.
Thanks guys.

wjrt 16:02 06 Feb 2007

click here

mite be cheaper elsewhere but this or similar what you are looking for

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?