connecting to the internet through belkin wireless

Ms_Suki 15:08 29 Aug 2007

I have wanadoo broadband which connects using a speedtouch box, however i have recently purchased a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with High speed Wireless-G Router but cannot connect to the internet through it. I have connected the box according to instructions and all the correct lights are lit in solid green. I have also followed all of the instructions on the set up CD to the letter. However I cannot connect to the web based management user interface which it says is accesed by typing 192.168.2.1 into the address bar. Whenever I do this i just get an error message saying I am not connected to the internet. I do not understand what I am meant to do next. Can anyone help?

wrg 17:03 29 Aug 2007

Have you connected the router to your computer?
If so what is your default internet connection? I had a similar problem when I was with Wanadoo and used their live box. I had the speedtouch dial up as my default connection so I changed this. When I changed providers I purchased a USR wireless router and I dont recall having a problem connecting, I did not need any software to make changes to the router.

Ms_Suki 17:34 29 Aug 2007

My router is connected to the computer via an RJ45 Ethernet Networking cable.
My default connection is presently wanadoo broadband since i am using the speedtouch box to connect presently . what should i set my default as when using the router? also, whenever i switch my router on a message pops up saying a network cable is unplugged but i don't know what it could be because i have followed the instructins perfectly.

wrg 17:47 29 Aug 2007

Have you plugged into the ethernet port. Normally the error message network cable unplugged means that it is not picking up the ethernet connection, or you have unplugged the lead. Cannot fully remember what the connection shows up as, I will have a look at home. Do you have the router plugged into the phone line via an adaptor which splits your broadband line & phone line?

Ms_Suki 17:51 29 Aug 2007

Yes it is plugged into the ethernet port and the dsl line from the router is plugged into the microfilter.

wrg 18:45 29 Aug 2007

Is Wanadoo dsl or adsl? It's just that you mention dsl line. If it is a dsl line then the Belkin router might not work with it. In the control panel there is the icon for network connections, click on that and the connection you want is the local area connection one. It may be that your computer is getting confused as to which connectio to use.

Ms_Suki 20:02 29 Aug 2007

wanadoo is adsl,(well thats what it says on the speedtouch box) but on the back of the belkin it says dsl line.
also, when i try to connect to the local area connection it says there is 'limited or no connectivity.'

wrg 14:46 30 Aug 2007

you need to check to see if your router works with adsl, if not it could be a router problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?