Connecting front panel USB to motherboard

GeoffR 14:08 19 Jul 2010

I have two USB's on the front of the computer. A multi cable lead comes out from them and there is a set of pins on the motherboard on which they must be inserted. The problem is that the seven cable connectors are not marked and I have been unable to find, either from the motherboard manual or other sources, how to identify them.

The colours of the connector cables are:
Yellow, Brown, Red, Black, Grey, Green and Orange.

I should appre3ciate any advice on how to marry up the connecfvtors with the motherboard pins.

Geoff Richards

lotvic 14:14 19 Jul 2010

What motherboard model? and PC model?

woodchip 14:26 19 Jul 2010

red goes to pin one,look close at the pin header on the mobo, you should see a 1, black goes last in same row. cannot remember the order of others.

This may help click here

woodchip 14:31 19 Jul 2010

red goes to pin one,look close at the pin header on the mobo, you should see a 1, black goes last in same row. cannot remember the order of others.

This may help click here

other info click here

Sparkly 14:32 19 Jul 2010

Had this shown to some time back helped me when you can see what the coulours are and where they go. Hope this will assist you.

click here

lotvic 15:19 19 Jul 2010

received from GeoffR via PM yellow envelope email:

The motherboard is an MSI MS 6741

GeoffR it's best to post on forum so that others can help.
Also forum etiquette is that yellow envelope contact is by invitation only (a member will post on a thread that somebody may make contact via PM - yellow envelope)
No problem though as made that error several times when I first joined so know what it's like :)

lotvic 16:07 19 Jul 2010

front case usb with msi boards click here it's another forum and it covers the subject well in link in first post. The diagrams seemed to have disappeared off the internet though :(
You need four wires for each USB (four group 1's and four group 2's)
If you follow the wire colour guide in Sparkly's post you may figure it out :)

Yellow, Brown, Red, Black, Grey, Green and Orange

Hope this helps, I haven't had to do this for myself (yet)

GeoffR 16:49 20 Jul 2010

Many thanks to all who provided advice - Sparkly's link did the trick as it had a diagram showing all the coloured cables. Unfortunately the USB ports are still not working but I think that is due to the jumpers on the small PCB attached to the ports not being properly set but I think I can sort that out. Great to know that expert help is available

GeoffR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?