Connecting Files and Printers Wirelessly

carper 15:34 05 Jan 2007

I have recently set up a lap top wirelessly but don't seem able to access files or printer. My PC is connected by ethernet and probably wirelessly as well but I don't seem to be able to link the laptop.
Internet works perfectly from my laptop. Could someone please spell out how to get them to talk to each other Thanks in advance. Regards Carper

Ikelos 16:29 05 Jan 2007

i realise this is not the answer you want, but I got a wireless printer, and that works a treat from anywhere in the house from either laptop.

brundle 16:34 05 Jan 2007

Run Network Setup Wizard in Control Panel if you haven't already done so.

carper 18:45 05 Jan 2007

Yes I've run network set up wizard on both my PC and laptop and both are recognized on my PC but not lap top although I have used the set up on both machines.
What I really want to know is how to access the files once they are set up as it is possible that I have done the right things but don't know how to go further. Thanks for your replies. Carper

GEEKSTA 18:48 05 Jan 2007

how did recognise the other computer? Can you please explain.

ICF 18:58 05 Jan 2007

You have to share the files and share the printer.
Right click a folder you want to share and select security and sharing from the drop down menu.Tick share this folder on the network.
For the printer click control panel select printers and other hardware click printers and faxes right click your printer and select sharing then tick share this printer

Technotiger 19:02 05 Jan 2007

I think you will find that not all printers are capable of being shared on a wireless network, maybe yours is not capable.

T0SH 19:24 05 Jan 2007

Have a read here on how to set up printer sharing on a network

click here

Cheers HC

BRYNIT 19:37 05 Jan 2007

Did you remember to switch off the firewall on the computer the printer is connected to. I took me two week to realise that the firewall was blocking the connection.

spacecadet 23:54 05 Jan 2007

connecting laptop via internet,i presume by wep key is different to being part of the network and sharing files and printer,you need to be part of same workgroup click here

ive also read something on here about using wireless software and xp inbuilt but maybe somebody else can enlighten on that issue

spacecadet 00:21 06 Jan 2007

the more i look at yor post which is in no means clear.i think you have connected to your pcs internet connection and not set up a wireless network?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?