connecting dvd writer ?

fire 11:00 11 Jun 2003

i have a cdrom/dvd rom and a cdrw unit already attached to my pc if iwanted to attach a dvd writer would i have to remove one of the devices or could i have all 3 attached. any help please

-pops- 11:04 11 Jun 2003

You DVD writer will do the job of all the others.

You may wish to remove the CDRW unit as it really is excess baggage but retain the CD/DVD ROM to save werar an tear on the much more expensive writer.

Brian

-pops- 11:05 11 Jun 2003

werar an tear?? wear and tear - sorry

fire 11:07 11 Jun 2003

is it possible to have all 3 connected or is the limit 2....

Quiller. 11:09 11 Jun 2003

If you have a spare IDE connector, then yes you can install it. There is no reason why you should not have multiple cdrom \ dvd \ dvd-r \ cdrw.

It will just come up as a plain cdrom till you install the software.

Your main problem will be, on which IDE channel shall I put it. This will depend on what you wish to use it for. Backing up files, video editing, disk copying etc.

ps some recorders can be funny and want to be master on there IDE channel.

fire 11:12 11 Jun 2003

on the gigabyte board i have 2 connectors one being used by hd and 2nd by cd/dvd, so i take it i cant........

-pops- 11:15 11 Jun 2003

The fact that some recorders can be temperamanetal as to where they live, like bsod says, was one of the reasons I suggested removing the CDRW. There really is little point having all three connected at the same time.

You might even be able to sell your redundant CDRW.

Brian

Quiller. 11:28 11 Jun 2003

Yes you can. Some drives are temperamental while others are quite happy to be a slave.

There is no reason why you cannot move your hard drive to primary slave or secondary slave, if you have to.

So long as you have the spare IDE connector and are prepared to do a bit of swapping of cables, if need-be.

Other alternatives are; get a raid board( drastic) or a PCI controller card that would give the option of 4 other IDE devices.

Rowey 11:50 11 Jun 2003

Your boot hard disk has to be master surley?

You can set your dvd writer to secondary master, and put your other cd drives as slaves on each of the ide channels.

You can have all 3 cd drives and the hard disk running.....but what's the point in having a CDRW drive when the dvd writer does that job?

-pops- 11:55 11 Jun 2003

but what's the point in having a CDRW drive when the dvd writer does that job?

That's what I'm wondering.

Rowey 12:12 11 Jun 2003

that's what i put at the end of my last message!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?