Connecting Desktop PC and Laptop

  Billawa 17:00 06 Oct 2006

I have looked at previous replies on this topic and gather that I need a crossover cable - that's the simple bit! Looking at the LAN connections on the two computers it appears that the laptop has four metal tongues in the connection while the desktop had eight. Having seen cables with four connections at one end and six at the other what cable do I need? Having then connected the computers, will they be able to share the Internet connection if I activate the Windows networking wizard? Both computers are running Windows XP Home.

Thanks for your time and comments in advance.

  woodchip 17:12 06 Oct 2006

The easy way if you just want file tracfer is by a USB PC linq cable click here
or click here

  Billawa 17:20 06 Oct 2006

Thanks for that. I have already got one of those and have used it to transfer files successfully. I am interested more in having a shared Internet connection through the desktop as well as being able to work on files on both computers.

  woodchip 17:23 06 Oct 2006

Then you really need what I use a Modem Router so you can have any or both on at the same time. Forget crossover it slows the connection down. And you have to have both computers switched on

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 06 Oct 2006
  Billawa 16:39 07 Oct 2006

Woodchip/Fruit Bat
Thanks for your comments. I'll followup your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?