Connecting Dell laptop to Netgear wireless router

ads2608 13:58 01 Feb 2008

I have a desktop pc connected to a Netgear wireless router.

I have just purchased a Dell laptop, running Vista, and am trying to connect this to the router.

I am asked for the corresponding SSID and Passphrase.

I have entered the SSID alright, but it will not accept the passphrase.

Can anyone help?

(I have contacted Netgear to see if the passphrase has been changed, but have yet to get a response).

Thanks in advance

BurrWalnut 15:50 01 Feb 2008

On the desktop connect the computer to the router by the Ethernet cable, now type 192.168.0.1 into a browser window. If asked for a user name and password use admin and password. In the left pane look for a section named wireless or similar wording (I can’t remember the exact wording). You should be able to see the SSID and the WEP/WPA key. Make a note of both of them.

On the Vista laptop go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a Connection or Network (in the left pane) > Manually Connect > Next. Now type in the Network Name (SSID), select Security Type and type in the WEP/WPA key. There is more chance of a reliable connection if the key is typed in hexadecimal rather than as ASCII characters. You may also want to tick ‘Start this connection automatically’ and ‘Connect even if the network……‘ > Next. Lastly click ‘Connect to‘ and you should connect to the network.

ads2608 20:44 01 Feb 2008

I can't connect to 192.168.01

I have the Netgear connected via a Virgin V+ Box.

I have connected one of the LAN ports on the router to the desktop.

I'm not getting a LAN connection as well as wireless. Should I?

Ashrich 21:49 02 Feb 2008

Un-hide the SSID , then you can connect normally , Vista will set the profile up for you automatically . If you can't get a lan connection on the desktop you may have fallen foul of the NTL/Virgin modem's needing to bind itself to just one MAC , usually the first machine it is attached to . If you have added the wireless router at a later date it will not be detected by the modem , it will still be looking for the PC . Power down the modem , the router and the PC , leave everything for 10 minutes , then firstly power up the modem , let it settle and find the internet , then power up the router , again , let it settle , then the PC , when it has fully finished booting , open your browser and type the IP address of the router into the address bar , press enter and that should take you to the set up pages as you would have seen when you first set it up . Let the wizard find the modem and internet . Make sure , in the wireless section that the SSID is set to be broadcast , set some proper wireless security , preferably WPA , then save the settings , reboot the router , then go back to the desktop . Try connecting the laptop again ( make sure that the wireless is turned on !! ) and scan for networks , find yours and enter the security key you created before .

Ashley

ads2608 12:40 03 Feb 2008

I am unable to log in to the router whilst trying this.

Can I change the passphrase by going into the Netgear Ma111 Wirless Configuration Utility which was installed on my machine when the router was installed?

ads2608 12:43 03 Feb 2008

I should also say that I have left the set up the same as how I receive wireless and just attached a cable from one of the LAN ports to the PC.

ened 10:24 17 Feb 2008

@

Ashrich 11:45 19 Feb 2008

Without any of the other things you have tried just right click on the network and sharing centre icon on the task bar , select " connect to a network " , let it scan for them , find yours and highlight it and click on " connect " it will ask for the security key , you enter it and it will connect you , and creat a profile at the same time . Make sure you make it a " private " connection so you have full access .

Ashley

reddyramya 18:28 24 Sep 2011

reddyramya 18:32 24 Sep 2011

i have a pc computer with internet connected to it. recently i bought a laptop. i want to connect internet connection to both computer and laptop. can we use net gear to connect internet to pc and laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?