connecting computers

David-189382 20:58 13 Jul 2006

is it possible to connect 2 computers, a laptop and desktop to transfer files between them? Preferably using something simple like a single cable. I have read about wireless networks and don't feel confident enough to try to set one up, my technical knowledge is not that good.If it is possible can you please explain how, step by step, in very simple language. and explain what equipment I need and where I can get it.

Thank you.

ade.h 21:09 13 Jul 2006

Use an RJ45 Ethernet cable to create an ad-hoc network, which requires little or no configuration apart from client firewall permissions.

See the Networking forum for more info.

Devil Fish 21:13 13 Jul 2006

The ethernet cable should be a crossover cable if you are linking the 2 machines without a router

assuming you are using xp on both run the network wizard on both machines

MAJ 21:17 13 Jul 2006

What type and size of files are you trying to transfer, Dr Wack? If they aren't too large you could upload them to some webspace then download them to the other computer, assuming they both have an internet connection. You could also use a Peer-to-Peer application like Frostfire (for example) to transfer from one computer to the other, again assuming both have an internet connection.

MAJ 21:19 13 Jul 2006

.......You could also use a Peer-to-Peer application like FrostWire...... click here

ade.h 21:26 13 Jul 2006

You don't need to run any wizards. Simply creating a share and configuring the firewalls is enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?