Connecting computer to TV

Mr A! 16:02 03 Aug 2004

I have an external Iomega CD-RW and DVD-ROM player attached to my pc. I would like to connect my computer to my tv so I can watch DVD's on the TV but don't know how. Can anyone help and can give me an idea where i can get the stuff i need at a low price? Thanks.

Valvegrid 17:49 03 Aug 2004

Yes, you probably can do it quite cheaply. If you are using a graphics card it should have some sort of video output. But it bit more info is needed, what sort of graphics card do you have, someone should be able to tell you what output facilities its got. Also have a look at the back of the telly box and have a look at what connections you've got there, you'll probably see a SCART socket which looks like a large multi-pole socket and maybe some others as well.

You may find you only need a lead which will cost between £4 and £7.

GaT7 17:58 03 Aug 2004

Here's a helpful tutorial with pictures - click here.

Basically you'll also need (apart from the PC, TV & DVD-drive):

1. A PC Graphics card with TV-out (with the necessary software, which come with most graphics card or you can use the TVTool - all explained in the tutorial).

2. A free scart socket on your TV (other sockets can also be used - also explained in the tutorial).

3. The right cables/adaptor set which can be got from here - for 5m cable set: click here (for 10m cable set: click here).

So, first check your graphics card has a TV-out connection...

If you have any more queries let us know. G

GaT7 18:05 03 Aug 2004

There you go, Valvegrid has already posted a reply!

The tutorial explains the different types of 'video output' (that Valvegrid mentions), so look at the tutorial first & come back if you have any more queries. G

GaT7 18:10 03 Aug 2004

I've saved the entire 'Connect your PC to your TV' tutorial to a MS Word file (incl. the pics) for convenient viewing.

If you'd like a copy just use the little yellow envelope next to my username & send me a message. I'll e-mail the file to you as an attachment. G

SEASHANTY 19:55 03 Aug 2004

How to Use the S-Video out of your PC
click here

SEASHANTY 19:58 03 Aug 2004

How to connect S-video out of your PC
click here

hecate 11:09 09 Oct 2004

Thanks guys for all your help. Bardolf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone