Connecting to BT homehub

Darthchaffinch 19:05 06 Jun 2008

I' ve just got a BT homehub which is being activated tonight, but I'm not sure if my Dell 5150 dimension has an in-built wireless network card (or whatever it is you need to connect to a BT hub)??? There is a wireless connection wizard in the Dell menus, but can't find anything in the system area.

Do I need to go to PC world?!?

Thanks!
(I was with Tiscali if it helps)

wis 19:25 06 Jun 2008

the package you got, is there not a installation
cd,drivers ect

Darthchaffinch 19:29 06 Jun 2008

there's an installation CD, do I not need a 'wireless network' card or the like though?

Technotiger 19:33 06 Jun 2008

Hi, yes you should be able to connect wirelessly to the BTHome Hub. In the wireless connection wizard on your computer, you will need to type in the SSID (Network name - in your case it will be something like BTHomeHub-FEEF) and also enter the Wireless key, both of which (name and key), you will find on the back of the HomeHub.

You may have to activate a switch or keyboard combination on your computer, or maybe not, I am not familiar with the Dell 5150.

In the unlikely event that you can not get the above to work, you should find an Ethernet cable (Yellow) in the BTHome Hub box - you can connect this to your computer's Etherent port (looks like a big telephone type socket) and to the HomeHub.

Graham. 19:33 06 Jun 2008
  Technotiger 19:36 06 Jun 2008

Have a read of this, it tells you all you need to know about the hub ... click here

wis 19:38 06 Jun 2008

ok , this bt disc is user safe idiot proof,it
takes you though the lot,load this cd do all it
says,if you have a problem it will tell you
you dont have to wait for activation go cd
at end it will search for connenction if not
found try a little latter

Darthchaffinch 20:27 06 Jun 2008

Thanks chaps (?!), can't access the frequencycast site though. Is this any good?

click here

What speed is best?

Darthchaffinch 21:13 06 Jun 2008

thinking it may be just easier to use the ethernet cable direct to the PC, although it does mean running a 10 metre phone extension cord from front room to 2nd room where the PC is.
Any thoughts on doing this?

rapieredge 21:31 06 Jun 2008

If your laptop definitely has a wireless card connecting to the BT home hub via wireless is really easy.
In your package you should have a credit sized card titled BT Home Hub Wireless Settings. This will detail your Network Name and the Wireless Key. With this information you will be able to connect.
For complete guidance I suggest googling the laptop spec and reading up on how to enable wireless etc and when you feel confident that this side is working correctly you can let windows configure the connection.

Darthchaffinch 22:01 06 Jun 2008

sorry, the 5150 is a desktop pc

Are USB wireless adaptors really much better than card type ones?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?