connecting to broadband

goldenorbs 17:39 02 Mar 2005

My computer is situated more than 10 metres away from my main phone socket and I have tried to connect to broadband but it is too far away.
Is it possible to use a wireless router to connect to broadband instead. If so could you please tell me which one would be best.

thank you

Graham ® 17:43 02 Mar 2005

Broadband should work perfectly well on a 10 metre extension. Have you tried it?

goldenorbs 17:49 02 Mar 2005

Yes I have tried to connect to broadband but it would not work. It states in the instructions that came with the kit that the PC must not be more than 10 metres away

pmillwa@aol.com

Magik ®© 17:51 02 Mar 2005

as graham said, it will work ace on a 10m lead, and, yes, a wireless router will let you take the PC anywhere in the house....

Magik ®© 17:54 02 Mar 2005

or of course, get another phone socket and wire it in.....

goldenorbs 17:57 02 Mar 2005

Thanks for your reply. cCould you reccomend any particular type of wireless router which would
be suitable for use with windows xp

pmillwa@aol.com

Graham ® 17:58 02 Mar 2005

Hi, please describe how the extension to the PC is connected.

It is very easy to plug a filter into the master socket, and connect the extension to this filter's phone socket. This will filter out the broadband!

Graham ® 18:00 02 Mar 2005

PS. Not a good idea to post your email address. It will get harvested for spam.

goldenorbs 18:05 02 Mar 2005

The PC was connected via the main phone socket through a filter and then via a 15 metre extension cable.
Thanks for the advice about using my e-mail address. I'm pretty new to computers and not particularly clued up on these things.

Magik ®© 18:06 02 Mar 2005

I got the voyager 2000 adsl wireless router, all set up and running in less than 15 minutes...

Jak_1 18:08 02 Mar 2005

Mine is ovetr 10 metres away from the phone socket, I had a problem with using standard extention cable but with proper cable made up into a 40 modem cable it works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?