Connecting 3 cd drives on one cable?

shezzer 19:02 22 Jan 2004

Is it possible to connect 3 cd drives with one eide cable so that i could use the cheapest drive as the main workhorse ie cheaper to replace than dvd rw and cd rw. The cd drive is not connected at the moment cheers mike

Bris 19:18 22 Jan 2004

Dont think so but I could be wrong. You might consider fitting an additional EIDE PCI card?

BarryKeith 19:18 22 Jan 2004

As the supplied cables only carry three connectors, it would seem fairly obvious that after connecting one end to the motherboard there are only two connectors left. The reason for this is that it is only possible to have two drives connected to each header, there is no way to add any further drives. If you add another connector to the cable, you will find that none of the drives will work when you add an extra one.

R4 19:19 22 Jan 2004

Shouldn't think so; Each IDE cable only address's drive 0 & 1.

If you are using both connectors on both your IDE unit you could use a extra PCI-IDE card to add the extra Drive.

R4 19:44 22 Jan 2004

< Each IDE cable only address's drive 0 & 1. >

Not strictly true IDE has three address lines 0 - 1 - 2, and two cable select lines 0 & 1 which means theoretically you can address up to Seven devices on address or three on cable select.

BUT I doubt if the drives have this capability or that the software on a PC would handle more than two drives (the normal configuration)

shezzer 20:18 22 Jan 2004

Cheers guys thanks for the help.Need to find out how much a pci card will be to see if its worthwhile thanks again mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?