connecting 2nd HDD

wednesday 13 17:27 27 Jun 2006

My old PC is in peices as it is being scrapped with so much wrong. The Hard drive, (one of few things kept) was OK, but it was on 98, and i want it on my xp. i tried running them together but my pc reboots and won't run. should i delete the windows stuff off this hard drive or what. if you could help.

terryf 17:35 27 Jun 2006

Leave the xp hard drive as the master and connect the '98' hard drive as a slave (you will need to look at the drive to determine where to put the jumper at the rear of the drive to make it a slave) You could install it by just placing it in the drive cage without putting in fixing screws. then switch on the machine and the bios ought to find the 2nd drive and the system will boot up into windows. right click on 'my computer' and select manage then dik management and you should see your no 2 drive or go to explorer and see if there is a D drive. As it is an old PC drive, you could check the make and model and download tools from the makers website to do a thorough non-destructive check of the disk

terryf 17:36 27 Jun 2006

Sorry dik should be disk :-)

ed-0 19:05 27 Jun 2006

has mentioned. It's probably just your hard drives jumper settings.

Your hard drive will have instructions like this on the top.click here

Look for the setting that says slave. This hard drives slave setting is the second vertical row of pins.click here

The jumper pins will be on the end of the hard drive click here

The jumper pin is here click here on the second vertical set of pins.

Look for the slave sttings on your 98 hard drive. Set them to slave. Boot the computer and look for the drive in my computer first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?