Connecting 2 Wired Devices to Wireless Network

jja28 00:32 19 Apr 2006

I've trawled the forum and can't find anything relevant so I hope someone can help.

I want to connect my PS2 and Roku Soundbridge to my wireless network through a wired connection. They are both in the same room while my wireless router is in another room.

I know I can get a game adaptor to do this but that would require one for each device which would be costly.

Is there a device that would allow me to connect more than one wired connection to my wireless LAN? Would I for instance be able to just buy a wireless router (without modem) to put in the second room and connect back to my current router?

My current router is a Netgear DG834GT.

Strawballs 01:02 19 Apr 2006

That router has 4 LAN ports so you can connect direct to the router.

mgmcc 07:47 19 Apr 2006

<<< Is there a device that would allow me to connect more than one wired connection to my wireless LAN? >>>

Yes, it's called a "Wireless Network Bridge" and lets a WIRED network access a WIRELESS network, i.e. the reverse of a Wireless Access Point, although some Wireless Access Points can be set to work in "Bridge" mode.

I believe this Belkin W.A.P. supports "Bridging" click here

jja28 08:35 19 Apr 2006

<<<That router has 4 LAN ports so you can connect direct to the router.>>>

My existing router's is in another room hence the need for a Bridge.

<<<I believe this Belkin W.A.P. supports "Bridging">>>

Thanks for the link - it looks like it only has one ethernet port though and I need two.

However, I have now found a bridge with a 4-port switch built in, which is what I need. It's the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP:
<A href="click here">Click Here</A>

Thnaks for your help.

mgmcc 09:07 19 Apr 2006

<<< Thanks for the link - it looks like it only has one ethernet port though and I need two >>>

Good point, although you could plug a separate network switch into it to provide additional ports. However, if you can get the Buffalo with built-in switch, so much the better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?