Connecting 2 Wired Devices to Wireless Network

jja28 00:32 19 Apr 2006

I've trawled the forum and can't find anything relevant so I hope someone can help.

I want to connect my PS2 and Roku Soundbridge to my wireless network through a wired connection. They are both in the same room while my wireless router is in another room.

I know I can get a game adaptor to do this but that would require one for each device which would be costly.

Is there a device that would allow me to connect more than one wired connection to my wireless LAN? Would I for instance be able to just buy a wireless router (without modem) to put in the second room and connect back to my current router?

My current router is a Netgear DG834GT.

Strawballs 01:02 19 Apr 2006

That router has 4 LAN ports so you can connect direct to the router.

mgmcc 07:47 19 Apr 2006

<<< Is there a device that would allow me to connect more than one wired connection to my wireless LAN? >>>

Yes, it's called a "Wireless Network Bridge" and lets a WIRED network access a WIRELESS network, i.e. the reverse of a Wireless Access Point, although some Wireless Access Points can be set to work in "Bridge" mode.

I believe this Belkin W.A.P. supports "Bridging" click here

jja28 08:35 19 Apr 2006

<<<That router has 4 LAN ports so you can connect direct to the router.>>>

My existing router's is in another room hence the need for a Bridge.

<<<I believe this Belkin W.A.P. supports "Bridging">>>

Thanks for the link - it looks like it only has one ethernet port though and I need two.

However, I have now found a bridge with a 4-port switch built in, which is what I need. It's the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP:
<A href="click here">Click Here</A>

Thnaks for your help.

mgmcc 09:07 19 Apr 2006

<<< Thanks for the link - it looks like it only has one ethernet port though and I need two >>>

Good point, although you could plug a separate network switch into it to provide additional ports. However, if you can get the Buffalo with built-in switch, so much the better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?