connecting 2 printers to 1 computer

zolaisugly 18:35 14 Feb 2003

i want to connect 2 printers to my pc i know i can use a data switch but after looking on net i am now more confused as to what i need...i dont mind it either man or auto..just need to now what spec i need to look at.. the printers are both paralell type one is a hp deskjet the other a citizen ribbon printer used for accounts.my pc spec is celeron 333mkz p2 with 60gig drive 256ram running win 98se.i am not looking for an expensive make just a good cheap-middle of the road model.also how do they connect to data switch..

woodchip 18:42 14 Feb 2003

I use a basic manual switch with a Samsung ML-4500 Laser and a Epson 680 printer, but if you have an HP printer I would suggest you get Bi-Directional Cables

woodchip 18:44 14 Feb 2003

PS switch cost about a £10 from Comp Fair Cables £2.50 each

faintly curious 18:45 14 Feb 2003

Another (and pretty cheap) option, would be to add a second printer port to your PC if you have a spare PCI slot available. That way there would be no need for switching.

woodchip 18:54 14 Feb 2003

A PCI port is nearly as dear as buying a printer about £45 in PC world, on the other hand a ISA is only £10

woodchip 18:58 14 Feb 2003

AS you seem to have an old system you may have got an ISA slot, if you have I would go for that has you could use both printers at the same time. No separate drivers are required as Windows will load plug & play

zolaisugly 19:06 14 Feb 2003

woodchip thaks for advice... i do have isa slots..but what is a bi directional cable and what does it do.... i am new to all this sorry for being a bit thick

woodchip 19:21 14 Feb 2003

Bi-Di Cable means that data can travel in both directions, necessary for HP printers

zolaisugly 19:24 14 Feb 2003

ius a bi di the same as a normal printer cable or not.if it is not the same will it still fit a parallel printer port

woodchip 19:28 14 Feb 2003

They both fit parallel printer port's, but if it's a one way data it may not work with your printer. You need to ask when you get one they look the same

zolaisugly 19:31 14 Feb 2003

thanks very much for help woodchip there is a computer fair in a couple of wks time and will look and ask them...many thx again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?