Connected to net OK, but nothing happens

wotbus@ 20:15 05 Dec 2006

after launching IE or Firefox!
Still playing with and old, almost repaired PC.
My BB modem software is installed and I have the connection icon in the tray. Fire up FF or IE though and this happens:
the URL is found and I am told the browser is waiting...that's it until it times out!
I have checked all the connection properties, run WinsockFix, run SFC, defragged a monumentally fragged HDD, CCleaner (you wouldn't believe how much - very satisfying that was). It's almost as though the PC just doesn't want (or know how to) converse. Frustrating when I keep seeing the little TV screens flashing blue as some app tries it's auto update or whatever. Any idea's. Cheers.

Technotiger 20:38 05 Dec 2006

Have you tried a Repair after right-click on connection icon in tray?

wotbus@ 20:39 05 Dec 2006

No. Will try now.

Technotiger 20:39 05 Dec 2006

or - possibly a setting in your Firewall?

wotbus@ 20:42 05 Dec 2006

Did the repair, a box came up to tell me I was connected. Tried IE, same thing: "website found...waiting". The workbar is painfully slow and it eventually times out.

wotbus@ 20:42 05 Dec 2006

I have disabled the Win FW and shut down the McAfee FW.

Technotiger 20:44 05 Dec 2006

What website are you trying to connect to? Or is it all/any websites!

Technotiger 20:45 05 Dec 2006

Hmmm, best to restart at least one firewall.

Technotiger 20:46 05 Dec 2006

If it is just one particular site, then perhaps that site needs to be included as an 'Exception' in your firewall settings.

wotbus@ 20:53 05 Dec 2006

All/any and the Win FW is going again. I first thought it may be something to do with the old BB software competing, but I have removed it all :-(

birdface 21:17 05 Dec 2006

Have you tried Control Panel.Network connections.Right click local area connections, Click repair, see if that picks anything out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?