connected but cannot do anything

menorcarob2 11:40 28 Feb 2004

hi

i can connect to the internet through a modem and dialup, but i cannot see web pages or send and recieve e-mail, the system is xp pro, with outlook as the e-mail client, i cannot contact the service provider as i am in spain and they do not publish thier telephone number.

thanks

handy4x 12:13 28 Feb 2004

sound like your user name and or paswors are not correct also is th internet provider a uk based as some bar international dial up also check your modem setup is correct the settings will be on the help file on the isp set up cd

menorcarob2 12:28 28 Feb 2004

the password and user name are correct, and the isp is in spain which is where i am connecting, this has to be something to do with the protocols,
but i dont know what i should use.

thanks

robin

hector 911 14:26 28 Feb 2004

do you have any pop-up stopper software on your computer, as this might be affecting your isp & Home page being loaded.

Also clear out your cookies & temp files.

And check your Firewall, make sure it is not preventing your download from isp.

menorcarob2 15:08 28 Feb 2004

i tried disabeling some of the lan connections, and disabled the firewall, it then let me see pages and send e-mail.

thanks for your help

robin

Stuartli 15:10 28 Feb 2004

Might be worth reading up about Internet Explorer's Security configuration:

click here

Also is the firewall set to allow access to IE, OE etc?

Stuartli 15:12 28 Feb 2004

See now you are using Outlook - it's more of a business orientated e-mail program than the simple, but straightforward OE approach.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?