Connect SCSI scanner to USB

xania 12:19 12 Feb 2005

My friend has an old PC running 98SE with an Epson GT-7000 Photo scanner attached via an old ISA SCSI card. He has now purchased an new PC (XP home) and wants to attach the old scanner (he has expensive photographic attachments so a new scanner is not an option).

I know nothing much about SCSI, but I do know that there were a couple of versions. I have also identified that you can get a SCSI - USB connector. I've already found one such - click here.

Are there any problems to be expected? I know I may have drivcer problems, but I think I've got that sorted. That apart, will thc cable connect the scanner to the new PC?

dan11 12:32 12 Feb 2005

In your link it says "It has been our experience that this does not work with scanners. "

I see that the old SCSI controller is an ISA bus ( 16Mhz ). If the new computer has a spare PCI slot, you could put in an IDE SCSI controller card.

JIM 12:46 12 Feb 2005

As long as you have the right connecting cable pin wise,for scanner should be ok.

Had/still have the Epson gt9500 scanner.Connected to the parallel connector to try out the scanner and software etc. had to change item in xp bios also to make it work.

Should be no problem with the USB to SCSI Convertor bar driver recognition,which may test your patients.

JIM 12:48 12 Feb 2005

i believe Novatec supply scanner USB to SCSI.Adaptec.

dan11 19:56 12 Feb 2005

If you don't have any luck with usb connector. Then let me know. I thought I had and I do have an Ultra 2 SCSI PCI controller card. Auto detects in XP.

click here
click here

FelixTCat 20:08 12 Feb 2005

A pci SCSI card costs only a few quid these days. This would be better than a SCSI - USB converter.

john-232317 20:14 12 Feb 2005

This link to my thread may be helpful

click here

dan11 21:07 12 Feb 2005

Mine costs nowt! :-) it was to be confined to the skip, as was the motherboard 3 weeks ago. lol

dadyassa

Luckily XP has the drivers for this card. It was running a 15000rpm hard drive with XP on it a few months ago. I have upgraded the server since then.;-)

xania 12:16 14 Feb 2005

Thanks to you all for your help. I will discuss this with my friend and will decide where we go from here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone