Connect a router with UK IP to a Spanish router in Spain?

sarahji 20:52 12 May 2014

Hi, I live in Spain and I have been told that it's possible to connect a router with a UK IP to my Spanish router. Is it really that simple? I want to connect my smart tv to it, so that I can get UK catchup tv. I already use a proxy server but the connection is unreliable and so far the catchup tv doesn't work properly. Any help or advice out there?

sarahji 09:07 13 May 2014

Hi, thanks your your answer. My friend has two routers set up in the same house, the spanish router is connected to the internet, the UK router in another room is linked to the Spanish router & is connected to his Skybox, therefore the Skybox thinks it's in the UK. I would get the same technician to do it but he lives in Barca & I live in the Canaries .. I'm pretty savy so can probably manage it, just need step by step instructions. The research I've done so far points to port forwarding & programming static IP's ..Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 12:41 13 May 2014

"..........the spanish router is connected to the internet, the UK router in another room is linked to the Spanish router & is connected to his Skybox, therefore the Skybox thinks it's in the UK."

I can't see how that could ever work Sarah. To get a UK IP address, you need a router in the UK (as mentioned by ßeta), or a UK-based server such as those provided by proxy and VPN companies. You can't simply assign a router in Spain a UK IP address.

Perhaps your friend could be more specific and then we may be able to offer some practical advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?