Connect to printer via netgear router

johnlecarre 17:15 27 Nov 2007

My Epson printer is connected to the desktop with a USB cable.The desktop connects to the router with an ethernet cable.My laptop also connects to the router via an ethernet cable.Both work fine on the internet. How can I print to the Epson from the laptop via the router and the desktop? I know the desktop needs to be switched on. I can access the router with the browser on the laptop but dont seem to have anything in 'networks' on the control panel.Any advice appreciated.Thanks.

Batch 17:41 27 Nov 2007

On the desktop, on the printer properties page, select the sharing tab and share the printer.

You may also need to install the printer drivers on the laptop. One way of doing this is to connect the printer to the laptop just for this purpose.

Then with the printer connected to the desktop you should be able to see the printer from the laptop (e.g. in Settings, Printers and Faxes) and either select it as the default or select the printer from within your applications when printing.

gardener 18:01 27 Nov 2007

If the printer is a fairly old one it may not have networking capabilities in which case you will need a printer server.

FreeCell 18:17 27 Nov 2007

You don't need a print server if you follow along with Batch's approach of printer sharing.

See Micrsoft article for more details on set up -click here

Print servers are only needed if you want to connect the printer to the router so that you can print from any computer on the home network without having to have the desktop switched on.

If you wanted to go this route I would recommend looking for a network printer as there are ones available for the same price or cheaper than a print server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?