connect old speakers to new TFT

scarylee 00:06 12 Mar 2006

Hi,
I have bought a new TFT "Optronix 7055L series". The in built speaker is not great so would like to connect my old PC monitor speakers to the audio socket. However, my old speakers have a different connector therefore do not fit in the plug socket at the back of my TFT. Can I buy a adaptor for this or will I have to buy upto date speakers that are compatable? My old speakers are "Diamond" that came with Packard Bell A727.
many thanks

pifko 00:09 12 Mar 2006

Can you not just stop the audio output from the monitor speakers and plug the old PC speakers into your audio output soket on your system?

scarylee 00:18 12 Mar 2006

Thanks for speedy response Pifko,
The pin on the old monitor speakers will not fit into the audio socket. The only socket that the old pin will fit into would be the power cord socket and then I would have no power. I have three sockets at the back, one for DC12 power adaptor that the power lead is plugged into, one audio which I am using for the built in speaker(this is the socket that my old speakers wont fit into) and the blue cable that plugs into the base unit.

rmcqua 08:21 12 Mar 2006

You should be able to get an adaptor. Can you describe the two types of socket in a bit more detail? I would expect the socket on the new monitor to accept a stereo 3.5mm jack plug. Is this correct?

scarylee 10:33 12 Mar 2006

Yes the new monitor accepts 3.5mm jack which is what the built in speakers are plugged into. However the plug on the end of my old monitor speakers is like a jack plug lead but with a hole in the middle. The same type of plug that you would find on the ac adaptor. Sorry female ignorance :)

Diemmess 14:11 12 Mar 2006

Are the only speakers you have, built into the old monitor?
Unless you want good quality sound wouldn't it be better to forget the old monitor, and the audio input of the new one altogether.

I have a monitor which has a great display but dreadful sound from built in speakers.

If you buy moderately priced speakers you can have good sound and vision and use standard plugs.

scarylee 15:11 12 Mar 2006

Thanks for your advice, just got back from Currys and now have new speakers that sound fab! thanks everyone for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?