Connect old parallel printer to usb

Picklefactory 13:57 17 Jun 2008

Hello folks
My mate at work has an oldish Epson Stylus Color 440 printer which he wants to connect to his newish Dell Inspiron pc. Reason being he has job lot of print cartridges for the Epson, and doesn't want them to go to waste.
His Dell pc does not have a parallel print port. Is it simply a case of obtaining a USB to parallel adapter cable and going through standard install? Or is there more to it than that.
He is totally pc illiterate (We had to show him what a USB port looked like as opposed to parallel print port).
Any advice?
Thanks

Stuartli 14:06 17 Jun 2008

The only time I used a parallel port to USB adapter was for an HP890C and the combination worked well.

Stuartli 14:08 17 Jun 2008

One of these adapters is around £15 - you can buy a new Canon MFU for £20 these days....:-)

See:

click here

€dstowe 14:30 17 Jun 2008

I've tried to connect parallel printers to USB via and adapter several times. Only once did it work (for about half a day).

It really isn't worth the hassle and as Stuartli say, you can get a new printer for not a lot more than the cost of the adapter.

There have been some good priced printers - Epson and HP, in Tesco recently.

pj123 14:37 17 Jun 2008

I couldn't find any "around £15". They were all £24.99.

As Stuartli has pointed out, a new printer is very cheap these days.

The ink cartridges for the Epson 440 also fit a lot of other Epson printers: 400, 440, 460, 600, 640, 660, 670, 740, 760, etc.

I would be inclined to buy a new printer and offer the 440 ink cartridges for free to a Forum member who has an Epson that they will fit. You could say just pay the postage.

Picklefactory 16:31 17 Jun 2008

..... it's not the fact that he can't print thats the issue, he also has a Dell printer as part of the pc package he bought which works fine, apparently his kids get through ink like there's no tomorrow and he already bought a whole heap of cartridges for his Epson that he wants to use up to save money on the Dell ink, it's simple economy and not wishing to waste all the stock of Epson ink he already has.
Cheers

Picklefactory 16:35 17 Jun 2008

I think he has bought a USB/parallel adaptor cable, but apparently he has plugged it in and no joy, but my initial thought was that pc might be looking for std LPT1 port, where it should be looking for USB. I haven't seen his set up, and I'll probably need to, I was just wondering if this was something someone had done before and could give me some hints prior to me finding out the hard way.
Thanks again

pj123 16:59 17 Jun 2008

I think your mate is on a loser here.

The first thing I would do is take the Dell printer to the local tip. Even compatible ink cartridges are not less that £10 each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?